Monday, November 30, 2009

A Post-Turkey Return




Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Didn't get the chance to post last week, since I was running around prepping for (and ultimately enjoying!) the holiday. Lots of fun crammed into the last 5 days or so... I'm still trying to recover! Not only did I have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family, I played hostess for our 5th annual "friendsgiving" on Saturday, aptly titled Thanksgiving 2 (or T-Givs 2 for short). Flaming marshmallow drama aside, it was a wonderful time spent with my favorite people, sharing my favorite foods.

The photo above is of a little arrangement I put together for the celebration, inspired by found items from the Fall. Shadow boxes and floating frames were used to display various nuts, cinnamon sticks, leafs, feathers and a few fabric scraps that tied in with my palette. Glass bottles wrapped in twine held branches and floral stems, while pine cones and mason jar votives punctuated the display. For the focal point, I affixed unfinished wooden letters (custom made by woodenletters.net) to a 24" x 36" canvas and propped up the number 2 in front for added dimensionality.

I didn't document my work in progress, but everything here is easily DIY-able! The bottles did take a while to wrap, but I love the way they turned out. Super cheap to make, and the end result is something that I'll get a lot of use from! All of the frames will also be recycled for other projects, or become a part of everyday décor.

Did you host your own holiday get together? What are some of the things you did to dress up the room or table? Feel free to share pictures if you have them!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you liked brian's baked ziti haha, that arrangement is amazing - it's so cute. I'll do something like that when I have my own house ha

    where did you find the shadow boxes? I'm looking for cheap ones, my grandmother works at a thrift store, and sorts all the jewlery before it goes in..There was a box of butterflies in all the jewlery I found and I want to frame them but I don't want to spend a lot of moneey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I never got to have any, there was too much food! haha

    The shadow boxes were from AC Moore--they have different size options in their frames section and in their wood crafts section. Michael's should have something similar too. There are a ton of websites that sell them too, if you're looking for ones that are a specific size, color or material.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete